Percy Jackson and the Olympians


Percy Jackson and the Olympians | Anaheim, CA - Official Website

My sister is OBSESSED with the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books, written by Rick Riordan, and she has been begging me to read them for years! And since now I have a lot of time, I finally decided to read them; here's what I thought.

Percy Jackson is a bold boy who *spoiler alert* finds out that he is the son of one of the "Big-Three" Greek Gods. This brings Percy into trouble at the ripe age of twelve when he finds out he is a demi-god and is sent to Camp Half-Blood; where he will train, in hopes to defeat wicked monsters. At Camp Half-Blood, Percy meets two of his most loyal friends: Grover and Annabeth. Together, throughout five books, this trio will fight monsters, meet new friends, be betrayed by close ones, and make history in Olympia. 

I am a huge fan of the Harry Potter books, which is why I think I was skeptical to read Percy Jackson and the Olympians in the first place. Percy Jackson just seemed like a wanna-be Harry Potter. BUT, after reading these five books, I have come to accept Percy and his world as a truly novel idea and an exemplary form of fantasy fiction. 

The friendship between Percy, Grover, and Annabeth is something truly special and extensive that is only found in superior novel series and this friendship does not disappoint! They have each other's back, they fight together, and they fight against each other, it's a true friendship. It's also a friendship that young kids will look up to and hope that their friendships will be as loyal as Percy Jackson's. 

Percy Jackson and the Olympian books were written for middle schoolers, but they are exhilarating stories that anyone will find interesting. I am a senior in high school and I just read all five of these books for the first time, and even though some of the chapters seemed below my reading level, the stories are so deep and being older gave me the advantage to read into the characters more and connect events in a way that I don't think I would have been able to do in fifth grade. Not only that, but it only took me one week to finish each book (five weeks total), so if you're looking for a series to read that won't take you all summer, I recommend Percy Jackson and the Olympians. 

                                               Watch Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief | Full ...

A couple of days ago, Rick Riordan announced that Disney+ will be creating a televisions series of Percy Jackson and the Olympians. I am super excited about this because I have not heard the best things about the movies and I'm excited to see these books get the time of day they deserve! I watched the first movie a long time ago, and it was ok, but I had never read the books so I didn't realize that they weren't like the books at all. My sister on the other hand, expresses how bad they are, so she is extremely excited about this new series! 

If you have read Percy Jackson and the Olympians, comment below who your favorite of the Olympian Gods is and how excited you are for the new Disney+ series! If you haven't read these books, it's not too late! Check them out before the new show is released so you can be apart of the conversation! 

Comments

Post a Comment